To obtain an approximate value for the minimum reinstatement value (VAR) of your home, simply follow the steps below:
1. The figures shown in the table are a MINIMUM base cost guide for your house insurance.
2. The figures assume a standard quality specification with normal foundations, timber frames or brick/block walls, concrete tiled roof, concrete ground floor and timber first floor, softwood flush doors and hardwood double glazed windows, painted plaster to walls, plastered ceilings, standard electrics and central heating. The sum insured should be increased to allow for better than average kitchen fittings, built-in wardrobes, finishes and any other items not normally included in an estate-type house.
3. House contents such as carpets. curtains, furniture etc. are NOT covered by the figures.
4. No allowance has been made for the cost of outbuildings or patios. The figures do however allow for a concrete path around the house, for driveway repairs and regrassing and fencing.
5. The figures allow for demolition costs, professional fees incurred in reinstatement and VAT at 13.5% on building costs and 23% on professional fees.
6. The amounts included for professional fees have been calculated to cover the following services:
Fees associated with the certification of the house under the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
7. The costs are based on building rates in September 2019.
Disclaimer: The values given in this calculator are indicative only and may not reflect actual rebuilding costs. The values are based on those provided by the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland (SCSI).
As stated in the foregoing notes it is important to note that the foregoing values are the minimum values that you should use in calculating your sums insured for rebuilding and are based on the assumption that your property is located in a region where competitive rebuilding quotations are available to you in order to allow to achieve ‘value for money’ in the rebuilding process.
If you would like more information on Value at Risk Surveys, please contact us.